On Death and Dying

PONDERING
Death or dying is a word that maybe most of us dread the most. But death is also a word that I wasn't able to grasp until I see it happened to my Papa and maybe until it finally happens to me. Dying also could be the most devastating because of the pain, the suffering, the grief and the the denial. And as humans we want comfort and abundance that life has to offer. But death will come like a thief in the night and we will surely can't escape it.

Last Friday, a brother in Christ of ours passed-away, leaving behind his wife and seven children. This news came to me as a jolt since he was part of our prayer items in our Monday intercessory prayers and my personal prayers as well. And whenever I hear sad news such as this, it brings back memories of my Papa who died 6 years ago that even funeral scenes on movies or tele-novelas  makes me cry. I would often ask God why do people have to die? Why do we have to bear the pain of losing a loved-one. So many questions in my mind that the only answer is to trust our Creator of the promise of life after death. That death is just a crossing-over and the end of our suffering in this fallen world that we are in.


John 14:1-4- "Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know." (NKJV)
This promise of God is what every Christians believe in and hold on to. This blessed assurance should make us not to fear death but rather embrace it as how we embrace life. But then because of human frailty, we still dread it because of the thought of leaving our loved-ones behind and the grief of losing someone you spend your life with. But God said:


Rev. 21:3-4 -And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. [4] And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away." (NKJV)

So if life on earth is full of hardships and sufferings, who wouldn't want to go and join our Creator?  But it seems that we are addicted to immortality. We are humans who wants to live life on earth forever. But then death is preordained to each of us. And if we are suffering loss of a love-one, this too shall pass. And if we are to face death and or facing death, let's just focus our eyes unto Jesus.

Though I walk through valleys low
I'll fear no evil
By the waters still my soul
My Heart will trust in YOU